Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mom's Little Helper

Nicholas is truly our little helper. He always is wanting to help out and he comes up with it on his own. This first picture was a few months ago. I was fixing dinner and Nicholas asked if he could sweep. So, not wanting to miss out on this opportunity, I pulled out my Swiffer and off he went. He went around the whole floor coming back to show me how dirty it had been. He got down with it and I said to him, "Nicholas, thank you so much for helping mom sweep." To that he replied, "No problem. Is there anything else I can do for you? Can I clean the bathrooms?" I wanted to jump at that one too, but he's not quite old enough for that. Hopefully, he'll want to do it in a few years. (He does help me when I'm cleaning my bathrooms though. He loves to stand on the counter and clean off the mirrors.)
This was about a week or so ago. I was on the computer checking my email really quick and Nicholas discovered the dishwasher was ready to be emptied (it has a green light to let you know the dishes are clean). I asked him to wait for me, but of course he didn't. So he started putting away what he could. Knowing that his little eyes would be attracted to my bright red and blue sharp steak knives I told him not to touch them, but to do what he could put away, like his dishes. Well I come walking over and he has put the sharp knives in the silverware drawer and I said to him, "I asked you not to touch those sweet pea." And of course to that he responds, "I was really careful mom."
The help just doesn't end there. So, I was getting ready one morning and had put Nicholas in front of a movie so that I could get ready. I had taken my shower and was starting to put my makeup on when I heard noises that didn't sound like Nicholas was watching a movie anymore. I came out and he was carrying his stool over to the laundry room. When I ask him what he's doing he says, "I'm just going to do the laundry for you mom." He knew we had put a bunch of blankets in there the night before that needed to be washed so he was going to do it.
This is him showing me how he gets the rugs out for his bathroom. He realized that they were missing one morning so I asked him to go get them out of the dryer and he told me I needed to come see how he got them out.
And his new favorite. He is loving helping mom with Emilie. He is so excited that she is starting to use a sippy cup that he needs to help her with it. She loves it though and give him all kinds of smiles. He has also helped me try to feed her and that didn't go over so well, he kind of gagged her with the spoon (I had stepped away for just a second to get a wash cloth and he took it upon himself to feed her).
So now we're just hoping that his enthusiasm to help with continue on into his later years. Here's for hoping!!!

2 comments:

Megan B said...

I love these pictures! These are some of my favorite moments, when the little ones are so eager to help with the daily grind. I too am hoping the enthusiasm lasts! Keeping fingers crossed!

Kalli said...

What a cute son you have! My favorite part is, "He kind of gagged her with a spoon." Kind of?! What a great helper. I can't wait until Mackay wants to help me do those things.