I finished the half marathon and what a great feeling it is. Our goal was to do it in 2 1/2 hours and we finished in 2 hours 15 minutes and 46 seconds. We didn't have a watch and they didn't have the time posted anywhere along the route so we had no idea how we were doing on time. We were excited to find out that we had beaten our goal by 15 minutes. We placed 247 and 248 out of 446 runners.
The course was beautiful. It was a gradual uphill climb for the first 6.5 miles and then we turned around and it was down hill for the last 6.5 miles (plus the .1 of 13.1 miles, wherever that figures in). We ran the whole thing except for my brief stop at 8.5 miles for a bathroom break. We hate stopping, but what can you do? We saw Shay's cousin Kayla and her husband a the beginning (the first photo was taken by them, thank you). Adam even stuck around, after cheering for Kayla, at around 8.5 miles to cheer us on. Thanks Adams!
Here we are ready to go. It was very cold out. When we started the race our hands were frozen. Luckily, it didn't take the sun too long to come out.
Here we are nearing the end. This was right around mile 12. Julianna got there right in time and hoped out of her car to take a picture. Great timing!! I'm hiding...I was trying to get in the picture better, but didn't want to use too much energy because I needed it to run. This is where we were wondering about what the spectators along the trail thought as people ran by...did they think "oh wow, she doesn't look like she's run at all?" or did they think "oh wow!! she looks like death!" We decided we probably looked like death.
The course was beautiful. It was a gradual uphill climb for the first 6.5 miles and then we turned around and it was down hill for the last 6.5 miles (plus the .1 of 13.1 miles, wherever that figures in). We ran the whole thing except for my brief stop at 8.5 miles for a bathroom break. We hate stopping, but what can you do? We saw Shay's cousin Kayla and her husband a the beginning (the first photo was taken by them, thank you). Adam even stuck around, after cheering for Kayla, at around 8.5 miles to cheer us on. Thanks Adams!
Here we are ready to go. It was very cold out. When we started the race our hands were frozen. Luckily, it didn't take the sun too long to come out.
Here we are nearing the end. This was right around mile 12. Julianna got there right in time and hoped out of her car to take a picture. Great timing!! I'm hiding...I was trying to get in the picture better, but didn't want to use too much energy because I needed it to run. This is where we were wondering about what the spectators along the trail thought as people ran by...did they think "oh wow, she doesn't look like she's run at all?" or did they think "oh wow!! she looks like death!" We decided we probably looked like death.
This is where we saw our husbands, children and my sister Julianna. (This is where I also started hyperventilating because I saw my family and I knew I was near the end...I kept my composure until this point.) She came and stayed up in Park City with us for the night. It was fun to have her along. She was our comic relief in the hotel the night before.
Here are my greatest supporters. Through out the whole training Shay has been very supportive and Nicholas has been too. He would always ask me if I had been running. Thanks for the support! Thank you also to the others who called or supported in other ways. (they had peaches for us at the end of the race and they were delicious. Nice and juicy)
If you would have asked me that day if I was going to do another half marathon I don't know what I would have told you. But now that I've had a few days to recover, my muscles are not aching as much, I can walk without it hurting, I would say definitely. When I don't know, but I will definitely keep up the running and training because I have loved the way it has made me feel. It has been very empowering.


17 comments:
You looked great the whole time! I tried to find you at the end of the race, but couldn't - too bad, I didn't know that Shay and your kids had made it there - I would of wanted to say hi!
Awesome, awesome job! Maybe another time, I'll see you at the start of another race!
YAY for you, Kim!! It sounds so exciting and so liberating!! I think I remember when Kayla did this the first time, she said the same thing you did, that MAYBE she'd do it again and look what a little addict she is now. You guys look great on the course and I'm super impressed you pulled this off!! I hope you are getting plenty of leg massages this week :)
Kim-I think this is wonderful! I'm so proud of you for doing this. What a great accomplishment! You are so inspiring! You and Kerstin look great! Way to go!
you DIDN'T look like death. you guys looked great after the race. congrats on succeeding. i'll have to start training so i can run the next one with you!! i'd definitely like to try!
What fun! Seriously, I am so proud of you, my runner friend. I bet it brought back all sorts of cross-country memories ( and hopefully some early morning track runs, too). My hats off to both of you, give each other a hug for me.
way to go..that is aweomse!!! your time was great..i can't believe how pretty you look though for just running over 13 miles.. no fair!
What do you mean "you looked liked death!" Before and after pictures look almost the same; just a little windblown from that high- speed you achieved to place right in the middle of the pack! All that training and the high-tech shoes :) from your sponsors really made for an awesome run. Congratulations to both of you!
Yes, that would be from a proud Mom
Wahoo!!!! Awesome, what an achievement. Thanks for the inspiration.
Yeah! You guys look good! I will most likely never run one with you. I like running, but not in races or marathons. I very much admire you for it!!!
I am so excited for you and a little bit jealous that I haven't gotten back into running this summer. We have a marathon in December, but getting out to run right now is just too hot and humid for me. Awesome job, and you got really close to Nate's time on his half-marathon, awesome job!!! Too bad you had to stop to use the bathroom, I suppose that means you're not a hard core runner yet... Just kidding. Again, awesome, and I am so proud of you!
Great job!!! That's so awesome for you Kim! You inspire me to want to do it myself! I bet it does feel really great to accomplish that big goal! Great job!
Wow, congrats! Way to finish UNDER your time!
KIM! Way to go! I am so proud of you!...a little jealous that I am not as amazingly talented and determined as you are! That is a HUGE accomplishment and I think you are wonderful! Congrats!
Congrats on your big race! You are amazing!
You are amazing!! Good job!!
Wow Kim! I'm proud of myself after 3 miles. You amaze me! Way to go!
Sure was fun!!!! Thanks for letting me be part of this momentous experience!
Post a Comment