Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Late Birthday Wish

So, I should be going to bed, but all I have been doing all day on my computer is medical transcription (and checking other blogs) and I am sick of doing that for the day so I am going to do something different on my computer, up date my blog. Finally!

I feel like I have had such a long hiatus from actually posting on my blog and I have really missed it.

To start with the catch up I must wish my husband a very late birthday on here (his birthday is May 22).

Happy Birthday Shay!!


I wanted to post on his birthday, but that did not happen. Why not? Because that evening my appendix decided it needed to be removed. We did go out to dinner on his birthday (to Chili's), but I never got to make him his birthday cookies, homemade nutter butters (you should try them, we are addicted) and we never got to sing him happy birthday (except for my wonderful rendition first thing in the morning). Instead, I was writhing in pain and feeling like I was going to die. And what was Shay doing? Being the most loving and unselfish husband, cleaning out the bathtub so I could take a bath (I cannot take a bath if there is foot goo in there) and running to the store to get me some Pepto Bismol and then running me to the emergency room at 11:30 p.m. (I did wish him a happy birthday on the way there since he was born somewhere in the 11 o'clock hour).

Quick side story: Nicholas was the cutest thing ever to me while I was in pain and daddy was at the store getting me Pepto Bismol. He would say, "Mom, what can I do for you?" I would say, "Nothing really, sweety." Nicholas: "I'll go get you a blanket to keep you warm." After he got me the blanket and went and got a book. Came back and said, "I'll pretend to read this to you." Proceeds to show me the pictures and makes sure I am looking. When I got up to go and try to throw up (sorry if that is too much information) he said, kind of panicked, "Mom, where is your phone? I have to call daddy and tell him what is happening." He then went looking for my phone returning several times to see if I knew where it was. It was so cute of him to take care of me.

So, Happy Very Late Birthday Shay!! Thanks for being so unselfish on your birthday.

(Notes about the appendectomy: They ran lots of tests that night and at around 2:30 in the morning they decided it was indeed my appendix and surgery would be in the morning. At that point Shay went home to relieve his brother Cole who had come over to sit in our home with our kids (thank you Cole!). The surgery happened the next morning. My favorite part was that when the doctor walked in he was carrying a Rockstar Energy Drink. When he left the room I asked Shay if we should be at all concerned about that. Everything went fine so I guees there was no need for concern. I guess it's better that he did not fall asleep. I had heard of people coming off of general anesthesia and saying/doing crazy things. I distinctly remember coming to and thinking, "Okay, I can't say or do anything." And I didn't. Just couldn't open my eyes. They seemed to be glued shut. Appendectomy's are quick procedures. I was discharged that evening. On the other hand, they are no inexpensive procedures. Thank goodness for insurance! On Tuesday after the appendectomy my sweet mom came into town to help me with my kids while Shay was at work. She was a life saver. Thanks mom for coming to help!)

5 comments:

Henderson Family said...

Okay, when did this happen? And why wasn't I aware of it? Come on. That's what neighbors are for. I would have helped if you would have TOLD ME!!!

Carrie said...

i'm so glad everything went well with the apendectomy and that you have such a wonderful husband and child who were there to help you. nicholas was so sweet and so was shay, missing out on his birthday. glad your feeling better. and happy belated birthday shay!

Carrie said...

ps we got a canon rebel t1i, to answer your question.

Shannon said...

Happy birthday to Shay! Hope those nutter butters are on their way soon. And I'm so glad, too, that you are feeling much better, my Kim friend. I teared up reading how sweet and concerned Nicholas was while you were down and out. What a little angel.

Megan B ♥ said...

Wow, the lengths you'll go to just to avoid making birthday cookies... But really, Kim, that's kind of extreme.

Appendectomy? REALLY? I'm glad you were able to come home right away and so glad your mom was able to come down and help. Next time you have a body part removed, call me, k? I'd love to help you out any way I can.