Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Monday, April 7, 2008

Nicholas Creations

Nicholas has this new fascination. He likes to freeze things. So here's the story. A couple of Saturday's ago, I had given him some chocolate chips to snack on (being my son and having part Barker blood running through him, this is a snack). I had left the room for a moment and when I came back he had put his chocolate chips into water (not a Barker trait). Since he was on the couch I asked him to please come over and put his concoction in the water basin that was sitting on the floor in case it spilled. I meant to just put the cup in, but he took it as pouring it in. This is where the real story begins...he then decides that he is making a dessert, so it needs to go in the fridge. Here he is stirring his dessert

He puts it in the fridge (water basin and all, should have taken a picture of that) and faithfully checks on it every few minutes, wiggling it around and saying it's not done yet. Wondering what he is expecting, I ask the question "Do you want it to be like jigglers?" He tells me no and goes on to explain that he wants it to freeze. I let him know that he needs to put it in the freezer then. So into the freezer goes the water basin. He continues to check on it every five minutes to see if it is done. I try to convince him it will take a little bit, but he still needs to check on it. We then have dinner. At dinner you can see the little wheels in his head turning and he says, "Mom, I need to add some of these veggies to my dessert." Not wanting him to put too much in I tell him he can add two. He picks a baby corn and a pea pod (we were having stir fry and chicken).

Mad scientist proud of his work

Knowing that he was having fun and was so proud of what he was doing, I didn't want to discourage him in any way and I was fearing the time that we would have to taste this "dessert."
I forgot to mention before, he failed to wash the water basin before he started his preparations for the dessert. Upon further inspection, I noticed a hair in the middle of his dessert. Proof of that below. My favorite part of the story: So Shay had been at a trade show all day and Nicholas knew that dad was on his way home soon and said, "I need to call dad and tell him about my dessert." (He knows which button on my phone is daddy's speed dial, so he can call him on his own.) Here is how the conversation went..."Daddy, guess what? We have a special dessert to eat tonight when you get home and it's going to be really yummy! Okay, bye." He hands the phone over to me and I am laughing hysterically. I inform Shay what the dessert is and also let him know that we need to be sensitive since he has been working on this all afternoon. Shay just laughs. Shay gets home and Nicholas pulls his dessert out of the freezer to show dad. Nicholas says, "Let's have some dessert." Dad responds, "Oh wow, (laughing)I haven't had any dinner yet, I'm going to have to eat dinner first." Dad was lucky and escaped having to try some, I humored Nicholas and took one chocolate chip far away from the hair and cringed as I gulped it down. We then informed Nicholas that we wouldn't be able to eat all of it because of the hair and that next time we need to wash out what he's making his dessert in.

I think I need to get some kind of book on science experiments that you can freeze.

Currently in my freezer, a bowl of water with licked and chewed up skittles in between the layers of ice. More on that in a future blog. For now, I need to go to bed.

8 comments:

kenna said...

Wow supermom, you ate it? That's impressive. For reals.

Megan B ♥ said...

Oh, HA HA! I love it! What a creative little chef-genius you have on your hands, hee hee! WAY impressed that you tried it, GOOD Mommy :)

OK, and you KNOW those chocolate chips didn't look like chocolate chips, right?

I anxiously await new recipes from the master!

Katy said...

What a creative kid! I can't believe you ate it! Very brave!

Shannon & Ryan said...

I'm sure it tasted just delicious :). Quite the little chef. Meh, what's a little hair? I'm sure the freezer killed any germs anyway. Must be so fun to watch him learn and concoct. And it takes marvelous people to allow inhibition, so my marvelous friend, continue to enjoy the masterpeices!

Steve.Jeana.Preston said...

Oh my heavens!! He never ceases to amaze me! You must laugh all day long! What a cutie! This might sound weird, but I hope Preston is as creative as your Nicholas!:0)
Have you chosen any colors to paint yet?? My mom and I FINALLY found the colors for my room...they are two shades of gold
:0) yeah..after looking for how long at the greens, we decided on gold in about 10 minutes :0)

Diana said...

This post was hilarious! What a good mom you are to try it. My kids love to freeze things too. Once I found a cup that had water, grass and grapes frozen all together in it.

Alaina said...

Fascinating! This is so darling... I can't wait to hear about the Skittles.

Julie said...

Kim--you crack me up! I'm so impressed you ate one! Keep us posted on the skittles--bound to be good...