Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bedtime Fighting

We have had a really hard time getting Nicholas to take naps and go to bed lately without fighting us and it taking two hours to get him in bed. Some days for naps he even tells me that he is going to fight and that he is not going to take a nap. I'm to the point that I have almost come to terms with the fact that he will not be taking naps anymore. Almost, is the key word. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up my time for some quite (since both him an Em have been taking naps at the same time). Some nights we just give up and let him play in his room until he goes to sleep. Which sometimes results in a very late bedtime for Nicholas.

While standing at the hallway tonight after I have already tucked him in once, he says to me "I'm not planning on fighting tonight mom. I'm going to say a prayer that a fight won't start." Then as I'm tucking him the second time, I say "This will be the last time I tuck you in tonight." He says, "But what if I get out of my bed, I won't tuck myself back in." I say, "Well then don't get out of bed." Silly kid.

In trying to figure out what to do about all this and trying to teach in correct ways and not have the spirit of contention in our home, I have come across this article from the Ensign by President Hinckley. I was actually reading it to prepare something for a Teacher Appreciation meeting for Primary, but I think I needed it personally too. I thought I would share it with all of you because I have been so touched by it.

You can find the article here: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=e77141dc0d186110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1.

And of course, I had to add a picture of both of them for fun. More to come soon, they're off the camera.
Emilie found my shirt one night and wanted it on, playing dress up already. As you can see, she was very excited to have it on.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh man! Naptime is a dilemna for us right now too. My rule is that, even if Ally refuses to nap, she has to go in her room and have quiet time. She can have books or whatever, but she can't get up and play.

I figure, the down time will be helpful for her (since she'll be grumpy from not having a nap). And I still NEED that time for myself!

Good luck!! Emilie is getting so big!

Megan B ♥ said...

You weren't asking for advice, but I heard of a great idea from one of my friends that sounds like it might be perfect for Nicholas' age and personality. At nighttime she gave him two popsicle sticks. They were his two get-out-of-bed-free sticks. He can use those to get out of bed without any punishment whatsoever and you will happily and with great joy tuck him back in. Once the popsicle sticks are gone, they are gone (along with the joy and tender loving gentlness). She was afraid that it would just make him get out of bed MORE, but it went completely the other way. He started hoarding his popsicle sticks "just in case" he needed to get out of bed some night in the future 20 times or more. You've got the world's most cerebral kid on your hands. I wonder if this would work or not?! And I agree with Mindy on the quiet time, if you can manage to convince him to do it in his room unsupervised, unentertained, for a nap-length! Which will make him more tired at night too, and hopefully easier to put down. GOOD LUCK!! Sleep changes are NO FUN!

Ok, I am CHOCK FULL of advice today. I have ANOTHER idea, based on what has worked over here. What if you were to start reading him picture-free chapter books at night (and I don't know that you don't do this anyway). But what if you made this special reading time conditional on his staying in bed? If he was tired enough and if you kept him immobile enough for long enough, he'd probably get pretty sleepy. I bet he would LOVE it enough that he wouldn't want to risk losing it. For example, if he got out of bed after potty, drinks, prayers, kisses, hugs, book, etc, then the NEXT night you wouldn't read to him. Make chapter book reading is an earned privilege, even if you don't really want it to be. Just some ideas. Me and my big nose, sorry!