Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Sunday, April 5, 2009

General Conference at our Home

Growing up in Colorado and not having the channel that General Conference was broadcast on, we always went to the Stake Center to listen to General Conference. I remember taking things to keep myself occupied. When I was younger, I thought that General Conference was boring and was sooooo long. Now, I can't get enough and want it to keep going and going. Being that we live somewhere we have it broadcast directly into our home, we are looking for ways to involve the kids and have them realize the importance of General Conference. Although I thought it was boring when I was younger, I knew it was important because we always made the effort to get to the church on time (especially if we wanted a padded chair).

One tradition we have started is to have Bubble Bread (Monkey bread to some) on Sunday morning. Always a yummy treat. I did not get pictures of it before we dug in and it doesn't look good enough now to take an after picture.

In the March issue of the Ensign I saw some fun ideas on how to involve children in conference so we tried a few this time. They may just become some more of our traditions. I originally was doing them more for Nicholas since Em is a little young still, but she got involved too.

The first was finding the current speaker from the center portion of the Ensign. We hung it on the wall and Nicholas has loved being able to find the speaker on there (minus the women). Emilie even got involved in going and checking out the pictures. I don't have a picture of the pictures, but we hung several pictures representing different things, ie: temple, prayer, family, sacrament, service etc. and whenever Nicholas heard a word he could go get a treat. We started with just treats, but then threw in the pretzels to alternate with the sugar. If he heard the word, Atonement, he got to have a homemade Nutter Butter. The kids also built some temples with the blocks and Dominoes. Here is Nicholas' first temple and you can see that it even has an Angel Moroni on top. Don't mind that it looks like he has a gun, that really is just his trumpet.
Here is the second temple. Much taller than the first.
They also enjoyed coloring for the last portion of the first session. As you can see by Nicholas' jammies, it is also a day enjoyed in our jammies (until we decide we have had enough of them).
I better get off since the 2nd and last session is starting. We hope that this conference weekend has been wonderful for the rest of you.

4 comments:

Henderson Family said...

Those are some cute ideas. I wish that we had prepared more like that so that KM could have enjoyed it more. Oh well, there's always next time.

Megan B ♥ said...

I think this next generation is something special. My kids are way more into Conference than I ever was. I remember also thinking that it was SOOOOOOOooo long. Ahh... the padded chairs :) Those were great ideas! I never thought to have them build temples!! We didnt' do the candy thing, but we did a bingo where they listened for the words. I was SHOCKED at how totally into it BOTH of them were. The candy/treat/whatever thing might be a great thing for us next time since then they'll listen for the word more than once.

daisy deb said...

good ideas, looks like fun! miss you all!

CL said...

Hooray! We loved conference too!