Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bacon

Nicholas has always been a curious little guy. Tonight at dinner we were eating bacon. While chewing on his bacon he asked me how they get bacon from the pig. Initially I told him that the pig dies (not wanting to go into how they die) and then they cut it up into all the different cuts of meat. Here is how our conversation went from there:

Nicholas: "So they would have to have a goat or a lion to hurt the pig before they cut it up?"

Mom: "Well, actually...okay, so there are specific farmers who raise pigs just for us to eat. They feed them well and make sure that they are going to be good meat. Then they send them off to a slaughter place and the pigs are killed and then they know how to cut them up into all the different meats. Remember how we went to the Grandpa's farm and he had those three cows he was feeding really well? He was getting them ready to be cut into meat for us to eat."

At this point, with perfect timing, Nicholas stuck his tongue full of chewed up bacon out for me to see. Just like he was totally disgusted by what I just told him.

I like to give it straight to my kids and really let them learn how things work. I may have made Nicholas more of a vegan tonight then he already is.

4 comments:

CL said...

You may have made me more of a vegan too. :-)

Shannon said...

Oh too funny! It's true, though. I guess we should all think about where things come from every once in a while, eh? It would certainly help my hand going to my mouth so very often ;).

Megan B ♥ said...

LOL, the truth hurts sometimes, it really does :)

Henderson Family said...

You're like me. I don't try and water things down too much. Just like the chicken:)