Remember the fish I bought 3 months ago? If not, click here. You would think the reason that it is a sad day is because they finally decided to kick the can, but alas they have not. They are still going strong and I believe they plan to for the rest of our lives. These ones are not giving up easily. Probably to teach me a lesson about buying animals you don't intend to take care of long-term.
Anyway, the sadness of the day. Since these small swimmers have been in our home for 3 months, we have been changing their water for 3 months straight (not something I enjoy doing, there is something about them flipping their little bodies around in the net for that split second you have them out of the water that creeps me out). Because of all the water changing they have had several receptacles they have lived in, a Tupperware (Shay says it is too small for their needs), a blue bowl (directly out of my cupboard), and if they are really lucky they get a recycled 2 liter soda bottle (this has happened twice since we're not big soda drinkers around here). Yes, it would be easier just to buy a fish bowl I know. I wasn't planning on these fish living for 3 months. So, to get to the point. Normally, when one of these receptacles is washed, it is pulled from the dishwasher and put under the kitchen sink to be used on the next water changing. However, a few times they sneak back into their spots in the cupboards (to my horror). Usually I discover the error and put it under the kitchen sink before they are used. However, yesterday this was not the case. So yesterday I made cookie dough. I cooked up a couple of batches and put the rest of the dough in the fridge to be used later. This morning as I was doing the dishes and looking at our wonderful fish (realizing they are need of a water change again) I realized that the bowl I put the cookie dough in was none other than the blue fish bowl. I was horrified. I am so sad because I am too grossed out by the fact that these little fish have swam around in that bowl so much to use the cookie dough. So the cookie dough has got to go. What a sad, sad day. Perfectly good cookie dough down the drain.
Morals of the story:
1. Don't use normal kitchen bowls to put your fish in, just buy a fish bowl.
2. Never buy fish again!
Anyway, the sadness of the day. Since these small swimmers have been in our home for 3 months, we have been changing their water for 3 months straight (not something I enjoy doing, there is something about them flipping their little bodies around in the net for that split second you have them out of the water that creeps me out). Because of all the water changing they have had several receptacles they have lived in, a Tupperware (Shay says it is too small for their needs), a blue bowl (directly out of my cupboard), and if they are really lucky they get a recycled 2 liter soda bottle (this has happened twice since we're not big soda drinkers around here). Yes, it would be easier just to buy a fish bowl I know. I wasn't planning on these fish living for 3 months. So, to get to the point. Normally, when one of these receptacles is washed, it is pulled from the dishwasher and put under the kitchen sink to be used on the next water changing. However, a few times they sneak back into their spots in the cupboards (to my horror). Usually I discover the error and put it under the kitchen sink before they are used. However, yesterday this was not the case. So yesterday I made cookie dough. I cooked up a couple of batches and put the rest of the dough in the fridge to be used later. This morning as I was doing the dishes and looking at our wonderful fish (realizing they are need of a water change again) I realized that the bowl I put the cookie dough in was none other than the blue fish bowl. I was horrified. I am so sad because I am too grossed out by the fact that these little fish have swam around in that bowl so much to use the cookie dough. So the cookie dough has got to go. What a sad, sad day. Perfectly good cookie dough down the drain.
Morals of the story:
1. Don't use normal kitchen bowls to put your fish in, just buy a fish bowl.
2. Never buy fish again!

8 comments:
A few thoughts:
The second you buy a fish bowl, those fish will bite the dust.
I am of the opinion that baking the cookies will cook out any fishy germs that may or may not be residing in the dough.
or
Those cookies would make wonderful neighbor gifts. Hey, what they don't know can't hurt them. ;)
I agree with Shannon- cooking the dough will get rid of any yuckiness that isn't really there anyway because you clean things well. I'll take the cookies :-)
You have restrengthened my resolve against fish. Thank you.
If you don't think the dishwasher cleans out your fish bowl, imagine the containers or cutting boards you use for raw chicken. NOW you should be disgusted.
That is definitely sad...but I agree with Shannon. ;)
Is it bad that I'm laughing right now??? :)
Hah! I don't agree with Shannon- those cookies would not make good neighbor gifts. I know and it would hurt me.
In the play I went to last night there was a scene where the actor spit out a live fish from his mouth. That's much worse than making cookies that were stored in a cleaned out fish bowl. I wish you all the best and may your fishies live short and perish.
Will you send me a new invite to brittneyhenderson5(at)gmail(dot)com
Post a Comment