Faith is not what you demonstrate to get what you want--it is what you demonstrate no matter what you get.

“Stand as a Witness,” The Biography of Ardeth Green Kapp by Anita Thompson

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Best Parts

Soooo, I realize I am terribly neglecting my blog. I once again could give all kinds of excuses, but I won't.

So for tonight I will just tell you about the best part of my middle of the night awakedness last night(Not a word? oh well) and the best parts about today.

Last night we had a bit of a rough night around our parts. Around 2:51 a.m., to be exact, we heard a blood curdling scream from Emilie. Don't be alarmed, it was nothing too serious. She had just had an accident and was wet. Not a pleasant thing. So already crying exiting her room she woke up Carter who then screeched as she left because really, if she is leaving then shouldn't he be as well? So he was letting his wants be known. Emilie in her half awakedness got scared by Carter's awakedness and let out her blood curdling scream (which we're pretty sure woke up the neighbors upstairs and everyone in our home. Sorry neighbors). Emilie ran down to our room where Shay helped her get changed while I checked her bed, switched out the comforter, all the while Carter was rolling around his crib screaming like a wild animal. At this point I knew Nicholas was awake, but he was just laying in his bed trying to go back to sleep. Anyway, fast forward to 1 1/2 hours later and we still have three monkey's awake. Shay and I finally decided that one of us was going to need to sit in the chair in their room while they fell asleep. So down I trotted and plucked crying Carter out of his crib to sit in the chair and rock him while Emilie ran to the bathroom one more time. While sitting there I was trying not to make eye contact with him because I didn't want him to think it was time to play, but what mother can resist looking into their child's eyes just once while their rocking them? So down I looked and when I did he was starring right back up at me (waiting for me to look at him) and I could tell he got this huge grin on his face. When he knew that his grin was reciprocated he started to laugh and laugh, seriously laughing. Which made me laugh. I looked away and looked back and he laughed again. So in the midst of all the craziness of being awake for 1 1/2 hours in the middle of the night, Carter and I shared some laughs. I LOVE moments like these. When you're not really happy with the situation at hand and somehow this little person you are holding makes everything better and melts your heart. So that was the best part of our awakedness (I'm really liking this word) last night. By the way, I think I crawled back into my bed for real slumber around 4:36 a.m.

Now onto the best parts of being awake during the day. To name a few: receiving flowers from Shay "just because", receiving a giant box of apples from a friend because she is awesome (seriously excited about this, I'm trying to decide just how I am going to preserve these ones), being able to have lunch with Emilie, taking a little drive after picking up Nicholas to see some of the fall colors around our city, being able to feel the cool breeze come in our windows, being able to spend 1 1/2 hours outside on a beautiful fall day talking with friends while 12 (I think that's about how many there were) kids run around and played on the basketball court together, being able to surprise the kids by putting glow sticks in their baths tonight (idea found on pinterest)(which they loved), having Nicholas spell out everything he wants to say to me (my favorite was when I was bathing Carter and Emilie in one bathroom and he was in our master bathtub I heard, "M-O-M" and then he said "explanation point." He obviously was wanting me to get there fast, silly kid), spending way too much time on this website because every time I think I found my favorite color or idea she has used to decorate I find another gem on her website. I think I seriously have 11 tabs open on my browser just from her website. Obsessed much? (and while I am sharing I am seriously considering painting my pantry door just like hers, check it out here), and just being awake to enjoy it all!

Pictures to come soon, as soon as I have shay here to teach me how to take them off our new camera.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

that really is a sweet moment. so glad you wrote it down (and so glad you shared it!). i just clicked on that blog, and it looks addicting :). and, ooooh, a new camera! how FUN! so happy you posted. it sounds like life is lovely for you, and that is what i like to hear :)

pinksuedeshoe said...

I need to write more of this kind of thing down. So so sweet. You know, amid the chaos around you. :)

Megan B ♥ said...

What lovely tender moments! Wow, that crafty lady sure is inspiring!

Kayla said...

I'm lovin' that door too. Maybe someday I'll have to do it too. And a new camera -- that's fun! You have the cutest kids - but I agree, kids sure do have a way of melting our hearts just when you want to throttle them!